In my short time as a runner I have had my own fair share of injuries. Some of them my fault from over-training, others the fault of others. So, what can you do to try to minimize your injuries, which ultimately cost you money and training time?
- Over-Training - It is way too easy to push yourself too far or too fast too soon. I ended up with a stress fracture and 4 weeks off of running just because I didn't respect my body. Start slow and only do the distance your body can comfortably manage. Then, each week increase the distance by no more than 10%. If you want to increase your speed, start by doing it at a lower mileage and then build it from there.
- Stomach Issues - There is nothing worse than getting cramps in your stomach or needing a bathroom when none is available. So, what can you do to minimize the risk? First, understand how your body reacts to certain types of food. If a certain type upsets your stomach when running, don't eat it before a run. You will soon know what your body likes as fuel for a run. Also, don't overload on energy and sports drinks. Too much will upset your stomach. Make sure to drink more water than energy drinks. A good rule is 3 times as much water as sports drinks.
- Falling/Injury - I group these together because for the most part both are avoidable. Not warming up or stretching your muscles can result in a strained muscle. If you are like me, I just start running. The first half mile or so I work into my regular cadence. This allows my body to warm up. Work out what works for you and stick to it. Remember, running requires a strong core. What about falling? Most people fall when running on a trail, or over grass (I wrecked an ankle by catching my foot in a hole while crossing a small strip of grass). Worse is tripping on a broken sidewalk.
Yes, it happened to me. If you are running at a good pace, you will not have time to put your hands down to break your fall. A lot of cities are protected from being held responsible for broken sidewalks unless they are told about them. So, the best way to avoid this type of injury is to know the route you are running and if you come across a broken sidewalk, let the council know.
- Running Injured - It is hard to pull out of a race just because of a small injury. Of course, if you choose to run with an injury you are always at risk of making it worse. I did this at the end of last year. I managed to tear a muscle in my back. Not a big tear but painful enough. Dr told me to rest it for a few weeks. Problem was I had 3 races in the following 2 weeks, a 5k, then the Dallas Marathon Series weekend 10k on the Saturday and 1/2 marathon on the Sunday. Finish that weekend and I would get a special jacket and extra medal and we all know it's all about the bling. So, the 5k wasn't too bad. The 10k was a little worse and then came the 1/2. With a couple of miles left to run my back was screaming at me. I eased off a little and finished the race and went straight back to urgent care where the Dr gave me some very frustrated looks. Worse still, he told me in no uncertain terms that I was to not run for 3 months!!!!! So, be careful running while injured. At least I got the bling:)
No comments:
Post a Comment