So, with 16 days to go should I feel nervous or confident or a little of each? I am confident that I can complete the race, nervous that I will start off too fast, nervous about the flight, excited to see my friends and Mum. So many emotions.
So, now that I am only just over 2 weeks away, what is life like for this virgin marathon man? First things first... It's Taper time. Yes, that wonderful time that, wait, what is taper time? Remember, I'm a virgin marathon runner. This time last year I wasn't even a runner,so I had to learn what this mystical Taper time was all about, why is everyone so excited? Does it mean ice-cream for the next 2 weeks? Well, no quite, but it is pretty cool. It means that last Sunday was my last really serious long run, now it is time to take is easier and get myself to the start line.
So, instead of 9 minute miles for my training runs it is more like 10 - 10 1/2. Instead of 18 mile long runs, this weekend it will be 13 at most, then next week it gets even easier and the week of the marathon is more like a walk in the park!!! So, if I am going so slowly, why even do it? Simple, got to keep the legs happy, not let them think they can go back to being lazy and not running. Don't want to stiffen up, plus it is now in my blood. I want to, maybe even, need to run. That feeling you get when you are miles from home with just you and your trainers. The piece and quiet, ability to clear your mind. Yes, all the good things from running you get to enjoy in the 2 weeks before the race. No more running out of water and feeling like you are going to die. That is now reserved for the big day, April 23rd 2017 10am UK time.
Now, back to reality. I still have a race to run before that day!!! What, I hear you say, are you crazy? Well, maybe, but that is besides the point. My daughter's high school band had their annual 5K this Saturday and I signed up without thinking. It's only 5K, but I know myself, I plan to just jog it, but, after all, I am a man and I have that competitive spirit inside me, so I already know, the the 10 minute mile I want to run while more likely be 8 or less. At least it is a flat course and there are only 200 runners. It will be fun, after all, I love 5K races. I plan to run a lot more of them, maybe even some 10K and even the odd half marathon. What, no more marathons? No, London is the biggest, so start with the biggest and call it good:)
So, race this Saturday, in nice weather, not too hot, then run another 10 or so miles on Sunday. Then it is 4 day week before Easter. So at least I get to spend a long weekend with the family before I head to the airport on Easter Monday to take that flight to London on my own, did I mention I don't like flying? I arrive on Tuesday all refreshed from the 8 hours of sleep I will not get on the flight, and then spend a few days preparing for the race. I will be staying with some close friends just outside of London, but will have to go in to get my number, timing chip and get my name put on my vest, maybe I should put someone else's name in case I do badly:)
Saturday, the night before the marathon and it will be no drinking and an early night. My biggest fear is I oversleep and miss the start, or worse still, will go to the wrong start, there are 4 different starting places and mine is Greenwich Park.
I plan to get to the start a few hours before the race starts to soak up the atmosphere, fully hydrate and take my first gel. Then it is race time. If I get a chance I will live stream, otherwise I plan to take a lot of photos and video which I will share when I get a chance.
After the race I plan to party like a rock star, but, my guess is a couple of beers and I'll be ready for bed!!!!
I have to admit it, every time I think of the marathon now, I get a little emotional. I'm not sure why? Is it because I have come so far in such a short time, that I have raised an impressive amount for Phab Kids, or is it because I think about my Mum and Dad, the real reason I'm running this race? Maybe it is all of these things and more. Truth is, a year ago I never thought about running a marathon and look at me now.
No comments:
Post a Comment