Having started running 9 months ago with the sole intention of running the London marathon of April 23 2017, I think now that I have some sort of idea. Normally to enter a race you simply pay the entrance fee and unless it is full, turn up, run and get the T-Shirt. A marathon like London is a lot harder. Unless you can run pretty fast, your options are limited, enter the lottery and keep your fingers crossed, or get a place via a charity, which is what I did. So, the givens are that you will train, but what about the costs? Well, I'll break it down....
- Raise the fundraising money. Yes, I entered via a charity so I had to raise money. so far $2500 and climbing (http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AndyTate)
- I donated $75 because after all I would not ask anyone to donate to a charity that I was not prepared to support. Check the Virgin Money Living link in the point about.
- Buy a pair of shoes, after all I only started running in June. Ok, so I am onto my third set, $250 in shoes.
- Buy Clothes and things. You have to look right and with the weird weather in TX you need a mixed bag, so plenty of shorts, compression things, socks, things to cover you nipples (this is very important), water carrying belts, the list is endless, probably $200
- Sports drinks and gels. You have to hydrate with more than water on the long runs and the gels seem to work although I really don't like the Cliff variety, too chewy. $100
- Now it's race time, 5K, 10K, Half and a couple of extra 5K to stay in race condition. So far won 4 medals at a cost of $300
- Guess I can't forget my flight to London, $680 (Check Fin Air if you want cheap direct flight from DFW to London, including taxes and you fly on American!!!)
- Spending money for when I'm in London $750
Now, this is just an approximation, but I have to admit, it's going to be close!!! OOPs, I fogot something...
- Medical Costs. I was lucky, we had already met our deductibles, so the stress fracture in the leg, including the crutches and the damaged ankle including the boot only cost about $150 which brings the cost to just about $2500,
So, it cost me as much as I raised for the charity. I'm sure the money raising number will get higher and so will the cost, because after all, I'm running the London marathon and my wife is sure to give me a shopping list so that I can buy her all the things she misses from England.

No comments:
Post a Comment