Thursday, April 23, 2020

Couch to Marathon

Ok, so I completed a marathon in 2017 so why am I starting right from scratch? In 2017 I don't think I was truly prepared for the marathon. For a few days after I had incredible trouble going up and down stairs. For the next few years I really didn't do much running and when I started this year my legs were too out of shape. So this time around I decided to act like I was a total beginner and start right at the beginning. This was after signing up for the Alzheimer's Research UK's Triple Challenge. Still, the swimming and cycling part of that will be my cross fit days:).

So, Couch to Marathon. What is it? It is a 24 week program that takes you from 0 to marathon in a controlled manner. The program started as Couch to 5K, then 10K, 1/2 marathon and marathon. Needless to say the marathon follows the 5K, 10K, 1/2 etc..

So, this is week 1. So glad we are still allowed to run outside, otherwise laps of the back yard would not be fun.

Monday... Rest Day (nailed it!!!)
Tuesday the fun began. 2 minutes walking and 1 minute running. Repeat 10 times. Cool, I took a half mile walk to a nice rubber track. Then I power walked 2 minutes, ran a pretty quick 1 minutes and repeated. I did a very slow 2 minute walk towards the end when I got a phone call, but finished in 30 minutes and covered 2.9 miles. I was out of breath, sweating and by Wednesday was sore. This was not what it was supposed to be like. I had flash backs to 2016 when I pushed too hard to soon and got injured. I am determined to not let that happen again. I need to slow down, build up the miles, then when I am stronger I can add a little pace.
Wednesday... Rest Day (nailed it again!!!)
Thursday (Today) Back to 2 minutes walking and 1 minute running. Repeat 10 times. It was perfect weather, 68F. A slight breeze. I walked to the same track, then consciously made sure I didn't push myself too hard. It felt so much better. Hardly broke a sweat. 2.7 miles in 30 minutes. My maximum heart rate was 12 beats lower than on Monday. Tomorrow brings the first Cross Training session which will be on the stationary bike. Then on Sunday my first long run, a whopping 1.5 miles. This is going to take a lot of patience and determination, but this program will get me ready to do a few marathons before England 2022.
Image may contain: Andy Tate, selfie, closeup and outdoor


No comments:

Post a Comment