Tuesday, December 13, 2016

That's 13.1 in the bag, now on to 26.2

Well what a wonderful race. It was a cold Sunday morning in Dallas for the Dallas Half and Full marathon. I strapped up my ankle, taped my shoulder, put on my knee braces and headed out for my first ever half marathon. The alarm went off at 4:45am and after a good breakfast including a carb shake I headed downtown for the race. It was dark and cold, in the low 50s and I reluctantly gave up my sweatshirt, sweatpants and jacket. I made my way to my starting group at 7:30 and took a gel pack and water. Daylight brought cold winds making me wish I'd worn a warmer t-shirt instead of the vest. I met a runner who was doing her first marathon. Last year she did the half, next year a triathlon. We kept warm by dancing. Between the 5K, Half and Full marathon there were close to 20,000 runners.
At just after 8 loud fireworks made us jump. They were for Group A starting. a little while longer there were more as Group B started, then it was our turn.

I set off at a comfortable pace which I was able to keep to for the whole race. There were drink stations every mile where I drank Gatorade and water. I took a gel chew at 5 and 10 miles. I have to admit, at about 7 miles I drank a mimosa, for the vitamin C of course:) That was followed by a beer for the carbs;) Then it was on to the finish. My goal for the race was to finish in 2 hours. I beat that by a whole minute!!!!
I felt great. I felt like I could have continued and done the full marathon, but save that for April. They gave us beer afterwards which was so refreshing. All in all it was a great morning. By the end of the run it was in the mid 60s. I really couldn't have asked for better weather.

This is me waiting to run.....

and as I cross the finishing line....


 I'm feeling it in my legs this week. It was certainly a good workout. I'll get back to running in a couple of days then it's onward to London. As always, I'd love for you to make a donation to my marathon charity Phab Kids. You can donate at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AndyTate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment