Sunday, January 22, 2017

Running - Is it all in the head?

Over the last 7 months, yes, I've almost been running for 7 months now, I feel that I have learnt a little about the science of running along with the physical and even mental aspect of it.

Science teaches us that we need to hydrate, fuel up, replenish. It tells us what to eat and when to eat it. Before a run, and even during it, load up on the carbs. During the run drink plenty of water, not just sports drinks and after the run, eat some carbs but more importantly eat some good protein to repair the tears in your muscles, but do so within 30 minutes of the end of your run to get the best affects and not affect your waist line. Science even tells us about the shoes we run in, our gait, how we breath. We should never lose sight of the Science of running, but there is more.

The physical is easy, if you run your legs will get stronger. That's a given. Of course, it's all too easy to over train and get injuries. Science is back again telling us to increase our long runs by no more than 10% each week. Guess I should have listened to Science when I got a stress fracture early on in my training, before even my first 5K. So, Science may be more important that physical, after all our running plans are based on Science. Sure our initial physical condition comes in to play, but the training plan takes that in to count, it's like an equation, one that takes a complete novice who can't even run 1 mile to a confident runner who finds 13 or more miles easy in 7 months (yes, I'm talking about me). So, why do we even talk about physical? Easy, running is not just about your lower body. By lower body I mean legs, ok, throw the knees and feet in for good measure. It's about the whole body. A strong core allows you to run upright. Strong hips mean you run easier and with less chance of injury. Strong shoulders and arms, even neck help to power your run. So physical is important. But what about mental?

Ah yes, my favorite part of running, my mental state. How can I explain this? I have a stressful, yet fun job, am married with 3 kids. I never thought I'd say this, but I am in love with running. I know it is because I get to get away from everything. When I'm hitting the pavement, it's just me. I don't run in a group, I enjoy the time on my own. It's not because I don't love my family or my job, I do, but this is my time. It's a time when I can be alone with my thoughts. I didn't really get this at first. At first it was all about the running. Now it is more than that. I choose my playlist based on the type of run I want to do. For a 5K, it's dance music, for a long run it's country or the oldies. The music sets the pace, one thing I no longer have to think about. So, I am able to relax my mind and enjoy the run. As I run, I try to take the time to reflect on whatever is going on in my life. Reflect in a positive way, not allowing myself to let it take over my run, if there is a chance of that I am able to push whatever it is out of my mind again by focusing on whatever is around me. I've got very good at it. It is relaxing. This relaxed feeling lasts longer than the run. I always end my runs the same way, with a hot Epsom Salt bath. This is not just to pull the toxins from my body and make it feel great, but it enforces my feeling of relaxation. So, running allows me to switch my mind off.  For me, this is the added benefit of running. Yes, my body is getting fitter, but so is my mind.

I'm sure I'll go through a lot of emotions over the next 13 weeks as the marathon grows starts to become a reality, but I feel that I am ready, thanks to Science, my body and even my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment