Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Variety is the spice of life

With the temperature rising, training becomes a challenge. In Texas we are already looking at our first 100 and it doesn't even start to cool off until after 9, then slowly drops to around 80 by sunrise. So, this doesn't give you many options for training.....

  • Treadmill. Hmmm, not a fan of those. I get bored very quickly. I will do a half hour if I'm at the gym but only to cool down.
  • The Early Bird. If only I could teach myself to get up at 6. The other downside is that you would need to eat breakfast first and let it digest otherwise you are running on a empty or half empty tank. 
  • The Night Owl. This is more like me. Running after 9pm means that you should still have some fuel in your tank from dinner and it will be a little bit cooler. The down side is that it is dark and the sidewalks of Craig Ranch suck. Still, once you get used to where the trip hazards are, this seems to offer the best conditions.
  • Suck It Up. As races get close, I will start to at least do my long runs at around the same time of day as the race. No point in getting used to the comfortable 87 when the race temperature will be closer to 95. The key here is hydration. If you are running more than 45 minutes, make sure you are carrying extra water.
How I would love a constant 75 so that I could run without considering the weather. Still, sometimes it is nice running in daylight:) Plus, the chances of running in the rain are a lot lower in Texas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment